The AONB Partnership is an umbrella term comprising all of those bodies and individuals that work together to conserve and enhance the special qualities of the Malvern Hills AONB. A formal governance structure exists to facilitate this joint working and, in particular, to ensure that the AONB Management Plan is produced, implemented and reviewed. However, it should be noted that much is also achieved through informal opportunities for joint working, for example, with individuals, businesses and communities.
AONB Partnership Structure
The AONB Partnership is an umbrella term comprising all of those bodies and individuals that work together to conserve and enhance the special qualities of the Malvern Hills AONB. The Partnership has a formal structure but much is also achieved through informal opportunities for joint working, for example, with individuals, businesses and landowners.
- Chairman Councillor J. Raine Malvern Hills District Council
- Vice Chairman Councillor E. Holton Herefordshire Council
- Councillor C. O’Donnell Malvern Hills District Council
- Councillor T. Johnson Herefordshire Council
- Councillor K. Pollock Worcestershire County Council
- Councillor P. Tuthill Worcestershire County Council
- Councillor C. Williams Forest of Dean District Council
- Mr S. Bosley Herefordshire Association of Local Councils
- Mr J. Fryman Worcestershire Association of Local Councils
- Position Vacant National Farmers Union
- Mr J. Hervey-Bathurst Country Land and Business Association
- Mr R. Williams Campaign for Protection of Rural England
- Ms D. Griffiths Natural England
- Mr I. George Historic England
- Mr A. Lee Herefordshire Local Access Forum
- Prof R. Bryant Herefordshire and Worcestershire Earth Heritage Trust
- Ms J. Lewis Visit Herefordshire/Destination Worcestershire
- Mr W. Barnes Forestry Commission
- Chairman Andy Maginnis Worcestershire County Council
- Stephen Bound Malvern Hills Conservators
- James Bisset Herefordshire Council
- Rob Hemblade Herefordshire Council
- Ismail Mohammed Malvern Hills District Council
- Robert Niblett Gloucestershire County Council
- Nigel Gibbons Forest of Dean District Council
- Paul Esrich Manager
- David Armitage Assistant Manager
- Sarah Baker Partnership Support Officer
- Karen Humphries Three Counties Traditional Orchard Project Officer
Meetings and Minutes
The Joint Advisory Committee (JAC) and the Steering Group each meet three times a year to consider a range of AONB business. Meetings are usually held in February, May and September. JAC meetings are organised and minuted by Worcestershire County Council’s Democratic Services Team.
A number of governance documents exist which set out the roles, responsibilities and modus operandi of the AONB Partnership. These documents are subject to regular review. In April 2010 a new Agreement was signed by Natural England and relevant local authorities which sets out a shared vision for and commitment to AONB management.
National Association for AONBs
The Malvern Hills AONB Partnership is a member of the National Association for AONBs. The Association was formed in 1988 as an independent organisation to act on behalf of AONBs in the United Kingdom. It plays a valuable role in liaising with Government, providing training, sharing best practice and promoting the work of AONBs. The Association is administered by a Management Board which meets four times a year.